Ying Zhang, Ph.D Professor & Director of Education Department of Biostatistics IU Fairbanks School of Public Health and IU School of Medicien 410 West 10th Street, Suite 3000 Indianapolis, IN 46202 Phone: 317-278-5482 (317) 278-5482 Email:
- 1981-1985, Fudan University, BS in Computational Mathematics
- 1985-1988, Fudan University, MS in Computational Mathematics
- 1991-1994, Florida State University, MS in Applied Mathematics
- 1994-1998, University of Washington, Ph.D in Statistics
- 1988-1991, Lecturer, Department of Mathematics, Fudan University
- 1998-2004, Assistant Professor, Department of Statistics, University of Central Florida
- 2004-2010, Associate Professor, Department of Biostatistics, University of Iowa
- 2010-2014, Professor, Department of Biostatistics, University of Iowa
- 2014-present, Professor, Department of Biostatistics, Indiana University
Dr. Zhang has a broad interest in statistical/biostatistical methodology research including non-/semi-parametric inference, panel count data analysis, survival data analysis, joint modeling of survival and longitudinal data, clinical trials, statistical computing and data mining. Many of his research results appear in top-tier statistical journals such as Annals of Statistics, Journal of the American Statistical Association, Biometrika and Bometrics. In addition to methodological research, Dr. Zhang is also actively engaged in NIH or CDC funded collaborative research with scientists in the areas of nursing, social work, sports medicine, epidemiology, infectious diseases and psychiatrics. Currently, he is heavily involved in NIH/NINDS funded project PREDICT-HD as a site PI to study the early progression of Huntington disease aiming to discover progression biomarkers for this neurodegenerative disease.
Dr. Zhang's Selected Key Publications:
- Hua, L., Zhang, Y., Tu, W. (2014). Spline-based semiparametric sieve likelihood method for over-dispersed panel count data. The Canadian Journal of Statistics, to appear.
- Wu, Y., Zhang, Y. (2012). Partially monotone tensor spline estimation of the joint distribution function with bivariate current status data. Annals of Statistics, 40: 1609-1636.
- Zhang, Y., Long, LD., Mills, JA., Warner, JH., Lu, W., Paulsen, JS., and the PREDICT-HD Investigators and Coordinators of the Huntington Study Group (2011). Indexing disease progression at study entry with individuals at-risk for Huntington disease. American Journal of Medical Genetics, Part B: Neuropsychiatric Genetics, 156: 751-763.
- Zhang, Y., Hua, L., Huang, J. (2010). A spline-based semiparametric maximum likelihood estimation method for the Cox model with interval-censored data. Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, 37: 338-354.
- Zhang, Y., Clarke, W. (2010). A flexible futility monitoring method with time-varying conditional power boundary. Journal of the Society for Clinical Trials, 7: 209-218.
- Lu, M., Zhang, Y., Huang, J. (2009). Semiparametric estimation methods for panel count data using monotone B-splines. Journal of the American Statistical Association, 104: 1060-1070.
- Lu, M., Zhang, Y., Huang, J. (2007). Estimation of the mean function with panel count data using monotone polynomial splines. Biometrika, 94: 705-718
- Wellner, JA., Zhang, Y. (2007). Two likelihood-based semiparametric estimation methods for panel count data with covariates. Annals of Statistics, 35: 2106-2142.
- Huang, CY., Wang, MC., Zhang, Y. (2006). Analyzing panel count data with informative observation times. Biometrika, 93: 763-775.
- Zhang, Y. (2006). Nonparametric K-sample tests with panel count data. Biometrika, 93: 777-790.
- Liu, W., Jamshidian, M., Zhang, Y. (2004). Multiple comparison of several linear regression models. Journal of the American Statistical Association, 99: 395-403.
- Zhang, Y., Jamshidian, M. (2004). On algorithms for NPMLE of the failure function with censored data. Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics, 13: 123:140.
- Zhang, Y., Jamshidian, M. (2003). The gamma-frailty Poisson model for the nonparametric estimation of panel count data. Biometrics, 59:1099-1106.
- Zhang, Y. (2002.) A semiparametric pseudolikelihood estimation method for panel count data. Biometrika, 89: 39-48.
- Zhang, Y., Liu, W., Zhan, Y. (2001). A nonparametric two-sample test of the failure functions with interval censoring case 2. Biometrika, 38: 677-686.
- Wellner, JA., Zhang, Y. (2000). Two estimators of the mean of a counting process with panel count data. Annals of Statistics, 29: 779-814.
Dr. Zhang is an active educator in both classroom teaching and supervising Ph.D research. He has taught 18 different statistics/biostatistics courses ranging from undergraduate introductory level to advanced Ph.D level. He has produced 8 Ph.D students in Biostatistics, Statistics and Applied Mathematics.
Current Ph.D Students:
- Spencer Lourens, Department of Biostatistics, University of Iowa
- Wenjing Lu, Department of Biostatistics, University of Iowa
- Ke Liu, Department of Biostatistics, University of Iowa